Automatically and awesomely boot your raspberry pi into full screen Chromium

Yep, I edited these images together. This is OC.

This is related to the Airport departure board project you can check out here.

For my out-of-this-world RASPBERRY PI-BASED AIRPORT ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES BOARD I needed to boot directly and automatically into a Chromium full screen that opens to the board main page.

It was all pretty easy to achieve as you can see below but I absolutely need to leave a special note to remind you to update Chromium as I spent well over one hour trying to make the solution I eventually used work. I'm mostly at the forefront of technology but in this unfortunate case I was sporting an outdated version of Chromium.

1. sudo apt update
2. sudo apt upgrade
3. On your home directory, nano .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart (I'm a nano editor kind of guy).
4. Add the following to that file

@lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
#@xscreensaver -no-splash
point-rpi
@chromium-browser 
--noerrors --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --start-fullscreen incognito http://airport.localhost/base.php

Note 1: I have my board running an apache2 vhost, that's why you see the http://airport.localhost bit. Not going through that here. You will have or your own setup.

Note 2: No, I'm deliberately not running in kiosk mode. I want the ability to connect a keyboard and F11 the hell out of full screen.

One less thing to do on the board project and yes, I know, this is not very "awesomely" as the title says.


Comments